Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cooking

Yesterday i had a change of pace. Instead of sewing i cooked. In recent times i've taken up making cheese. Still learning but slowly getting there. I've only made fetta & ricotta so far but they've turned out well. I found a new lasagne recipe that requires fresh ricotta so i made my own yesterday.
The curds forming after about an hour.
The cheese draining, needs to hand like this for about 4 hours & then it's ready to eat. I usually throw the whey away but i read on a blog recently uses for it so i saved it this time.
The whey after i poured it off,
All bottled.
This is the ricotta after draining 4 hours. Whilst waiting for the cheese to form i had a go at making limoncello.
Needed 6 lemons &
Vodka.
Peeling lemons with a vege peeler was an experience.
The peel all cut up into strips & placed into 2 large bottles,

vodka added. Now it sits for 2 weeks. After that a sugar syrup is made & then the limoncello is divided into 3 bottles & sits a further week. I also made cakes.
Mexican chocolate cake with chilli ganache,
salted spice caramel slice. We are not sure if we like this at all but i wanted to try it out.

Happy Stitching,


17 comments:

Fiona said...

Oooh wow... I think I need to come over.... so clever... home made cheese.... and I haven't heard of that lemony drink...I love citrus though so I'm sure I would like it....
Hugz

Roseanne said...

look very good. What do you use the whey for?

Sheila said...

Some interesting cooking going on , just how do you make cheese? The cakes look yummy!

Val said...

The cheese looks delicious. Looks like something I could have a go at. You also make the limoncello look easy. Might have to try that too :)
Not so sure about the cake and slice. I like chilli in a chocolate but salted spiced caramel sounds like an odd mix. You say you are not sure if you liked it. What was it like?

shez said...

boy you have been busy Jeanetteyou are so clever,the cheese looks fasinating

Pami said...

morning jeanette!..well thats a mixed bag, well done!!..is there vodka left over? :-)..pami xox

Michelle said...

I want to start making some cheeses too your ricotta looks fab... what are you going to do with the whey?

Allie said...

My hubby tried to make cheese one time, not sure what kind but my kitchen smelled awful for weeks and it never did turn out. I think you're much better at it than he is, lol! You are REALLY creative in the kitchen, girl....all I can do is open a can.

Cat said...

Yeah for cheese making - can we have a recipe and a tutorial?
Your cakes looks divine
xxx

Vicki ♥ said...

You are very industious Jeanette and I too one day would like to make my own ricotta cheese. Lots of lovely things and yummy cakes :) What time did you say morning tea was? hugs Vicki X

Jenny of Elefantz said...

And I'm invited to stay when???????? ;-)
Is there a tutorial somewhere for making the cheese? I've made some from hanging yoghurt, but not what you're making...
Hugs
Jenny
xx

Linda said...

Wow! I"m so impressed that you'd go to so much work when store-bought works. Good grief. I didn't even know you could make your own cheese! I'm sure everything will be delicious. I have a bottle of Italian Limoncella in my freezer, and it's been there for years! A gift. How does one use it?

teresa said...

Wow.. I'm impressed. You have made some amazing things. I'd love to have a go at making the cheese...you make it look very achievable. I've never heard of Limoncella before, but it sounds great!!! Well done there in the kitchen!!!

Bev C said...

Right Jeanette I will be over to finish that ricotta as soon as possible.
Happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Linda said...

YUM!!! Wish I could have a bite of everything!!

Mrs Minton makes... said...

Fab blog! love your designs..so pretty!

Maggie said...

making cheese! woohoo! now that is something i could sink my teeth into. have you found it hard? we are moving soon to the bush and i want to be able to do some barter and exchange with folks to get fresh milk to start making cheese. vunderbar!